Did you know that the litter picked up on Valley freeways every year weighs as much as 160 elephants, 73 school buses, or 1.2 million basketballs? That’s a lot of litter!
Litter is not only ugly, it can spread germs and cause environmental and health problems. When rain washes litter that contains toxic chemicals into our storm drains, it can contaminate our water systems.
While you may be too young to drive, you can play an important role in helping to keep our beautiful state clean. Below are some ways you can help:
- Don’t litter and tell your friends not to litter.
- If anyone in your car smokes, make sure they don’t throw their cigarettes out the window.
- Remind the people you drive with to always tie down their loads.
- Use a litterbag in your car. You can even get one free by clicking here.
- Have your parents call the litter hotline if they see anyone littering: 1-877-3LITTER.
If you are interested in having someone from the Don’t Trash Arizona program come to your classroom for a presentation on the campaign, Please contact Kelly Taft:
Kelly Taft, APR
Maricopa Association of Governments